Collection: Vitamins and Minerals
Browse the complete range of equine supplements online today at EQ Saddlery.
Horse feed ultimately provides horses with what they need to meet their nutritional requirements. Horses, similarly to humans, require a balanced diet of macronutrients, such as carbohydrates, proteins and fats alongside micronutrients of all kinds such as iron, calcium, etc. The type of feed and the amount of feed that you give to your horses will depend on a variety of factors such as their current pasture, current weight, age and amount of work.
Horse feed comes in a variety of forms and can include grain, pellets, hay and supplements. Hay is an important source of fibre and protein, and is extremely important for horses' gut health. Grain such as oats, corn and barley may be added to a horse’s diet to provide additional nutrients and energy. The pelleted feed has become increasingly popular due to its convenience. Pelleted feed often combines hay, grain and other nutrients into a singular pellet. Each pelleted feed contains different levels of each nutrient and it is important to consult with a qualified nutritionist or local veterinarian to see which feed is right for your horse to meet their individual nutritional needs.
There is a wide variety of horse supplements which target different need
- Antioxidants and Tying Up: Antioxidants assist horses travel oxygen around the body which assists in the functioning of metabolic processes including muscle recovery
- Recovery: To help with muscle recovery after exercise.
- Appetite Stimulant: To increase the appetite of horses and encourage them to eat
- Digestive health and toxin binder: To improve the gut health of horses. Particularly good for horses who are ulcer prone.
- Electrolytes and salts: To ensure that horses are consuming enough water.
- Herbs: Used to naturally improve the horse's well-being and treat dietary imbalances
- Hoof and coat: To strengthen hooves and improve coat health.
- Bone and joint health: Increase the mobility and health of bones and joints.
- Weight loss management: Specific for horses with metabolic issues and needing to lose weight.
- Respiratory: Used to help maintain optimal condition of the membranes throughout the horse's respiratory tract.
- Muscle and weight gain: For horses who need extra assistance to keep their condition/gain weight.
- Vitamins and minerals: Good for horses who do not require a complete feed to maintain their condition but are still needing assistance in meeting nutritional requirements.
- Oils: Great for horses who are needing assistance gaining weight as they provide a lot of calories in a small amount.
- Calming: For horses who display excitable behaviour. Typically used on the horse when out at a competition but some calming supplements are safe for day-to-day use.
Your horse's nutritional needs will differ throughout the years and it is important to realize that a horse's nutritional requirements may not always be the same. For example, electrolytes may not be used all year round and only after periods of intense exercise, hot days, or freezing days when they don’t have the natural desire to drink as much water.
EQ Saddlery stocks a complete range of feed and supplements from industry-leading brands such as Kentucky Equine Research (KER), Kelato, Evolution, Cavalor, BetaVet, Poseidon, Dynavite, Hygain, 4Cyte, CEN, TRM, Kohnke’s Own, iO Essentials, Ranvet, Virbac, Equine Health, Evolution Animal Care, Mustad, Stance, NRG, Equilibrium, Vetsense and more!
Head into your local EQ Saddlery store to view the entire range of premium horse feed and hay and get expert information about the stocked range of feed from our friendly and approachable staff. For detailed information and nutrition advice, your local veterinarian or equine nutritionist will be able to provide you with professional advice.